M.U.M's the word...
April 18, 2024, 09:07:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Rue Morgue Magazine rules!  visit: http://www.rue-morgue.com/index.php

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Where would you go to survive?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you go to survive?  (Read 1070 times)
Mayor MC Cheese
M.U.M. Founder / Leader (semi-retired)
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:56:23 pm »

If your hometown was under attack by zombies, or a random infection was rampant and the only chance for survival was escape to somewhere "safe", where would you go?  Be as specific as possible... 

My favourite is The John Rhodes Driver Examination Centre in South-East Brampton Ontario.  Ironically, this little chunk of government owned property is directly north of real-life Malton Ontario (in Canada) and it's about 20 miles from where I live.  The exam centre has been closed for a decade, but it is completely fenced in AND already boarded up. 

Pros:  The building is surrounded by a series of driver-exam roadways (see map image), so from the main building 360 degree visibility would be possible.  The fence would keep the hordes at bay. 

Cons:  To maintain the barricades, an upper-level (or rooftop) entry point would be necessary.  Supplies (food, ammo, etc) would be absent, so you'd have to arrive well-stocked if you planned to stay for any length of time... 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:12:01 pm by Mayor MC Cheese » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A Rabid Dogg
Administrator

Live to the Fullest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »

I'd say the prison that's not too far from me. Definitely the safest thing I could think of, it's fenced and the interior can be locked down and sections can be closed off to quell the horde. It also is sure to have some kind of weaponry on sight not to mention transport vehicles if they are necessary.
Otherwise I'd say a place like Walmart, home depot or the sporting goods store near me as they'd contain equipment I could use. (obviously they all have different stuff)
Schools are decent places to defend as well especially if they are built high instead of across, but otherwise provide no tactical advantage.

My overall strategy would involve grabbing improvised weaponry from my house and leaving to collect supplies as quickly as possible. I would also round up a decent group of 3-4 other people, any more is too much. Everybody I know has actually said that the first thing they'd do is call me. Cheesy After we were prepared we would go to where we plan to hold out which would be decided depending on ease to get there and ease to hold out. Preferably we'd try to head out of the city and get to a more rural area.

The best place would be somewhere that could only be accessed by ladder that can be raised or lowered that has it's own power source and plenty of food and other supplies. If I ever somehow end up really rich, I'd build such a place just because. Cheesy
Obviously that's a highly unlikely situation though and thus we'd have to settle.

I think a better question is not where you'd hold out to survive but maybe how you'd escape altogether. Obviously that depends on tons of different variable that can't be accounted for so i figure I'd wing that part of it. The best thing you can have is a good ability to adapt.
Report Spam   Logged

MUM Commander-in-Chief 
JOHN CULLEN
MIA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:51 pm »

My grandparents house
pros- supplies and weaponry already there easy to barricade the doors most windows are to high up steep hills on 1 1/2 side fence around house and part of garage tall space between garage and house can be baricaded to provide more room
cons- living room window is huge and may just be within reach from the ground

overall though the place is the best bet in these areas plus the way the plae is built there will still be access to the garage
Report Spam   Logged

you search and find a zombie... what a surprise...
LtGonzalez
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

I would awaken with most probable my mother at work near Manhattan and my father still in bed. My brother is a firefighter and based on the schedule would have a 50% chance of being home. His wife and my 3 year old niece would probably be home. That would be 5 of us. My grandmother lives acorss the street and me and my brother would probably have to find a way to get her across to our house. Only 3 shorts blocks away from me is a Precinct. I would probably go with my brother there to look for weapons. Try to contact my mom with the phone. Can't imagine going all the way to her job to get her. About 15 minutes from my house is one of the top 10 malls in America (for size), Roosevelt Field Mall. I could imagine us going there. Or Costco. But in such a populated area like mine, I doubt it would be safe. The best thing might just to be stay in my house, with the high windows, and tall sturdy fence. We also have an attic that requires a ladder but you can pull the ladder up. And C-Town (supermarket) is only 2 blocks away. Could be good supplies. I think I would try to hold up in my house with weapons form precinct and food from C-Town.
Report Spam   Logged

Echo over and out.
LtGonzalez
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:05:32 pm »

I mgiht just call you guys up just so we could form the real Malton Urban Militia.
Report Spam   Logged

Echo over and out.
revan
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:04 pm »

i would try 2 get to a shopping mall that has a gun store with some other survivors when we have enough i would raid the local army base 2 get supplies then i would check the prison and recruit the inmates and yes i would look for u guys too
Report Spam   Logged
revan
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

i would try 2 get to a shopping mall that has a gun store with some other survivors when we have enough i would raid the local army base 2 get supplies then i would check the prison and recruit the inmates and yes i would look for u guys too

and i would raid the local cvs 2 get my medicine for my ad-hd
Report Spam   Logged
A Rabid Dogg
Administrator

Live to the Fullest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:51 pm »

I doubt that would be a good idea Gonzo, unless it starts on one coast and we prepare early, then that would be pretty awesome as we'd allo know more so what to do. Honestly my most likely group would be me, my brother and a couple friends as my parents would most likely be at work and my grandparents are too far away. Even then, it depends where I am when it starts. I may end up just being with a group of people from my school because going excessively out of the way to save family can get you all killed. Cold I know, but I don't think a zombie apocalypse is a time for sacrifice and selflessness.
Report Spam   Logged

MUM Commander-in-Chief 
Mayor MC Cheese
M.U.M. Founder / Leader (semi-retired)
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »

My crew:  (providing all necessary variables are conducive) 
Flash (my son) 
Matt (my buddy & a zombie expert)
Gary (my uncle & an expert marksman) 
Todd (my cousin who's the only guy I know who might be a better shot than Uncle Gary) 
Nick & Neil (more cousins - one is a tool-maker by trade, the other has a huge IQ) 
...and my wife and daughter even though they would slow us down.
Report Spam   Logged
A Rabid Dogg
Administrator

Live to the Fullest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 12:41:14 am »

Not trying to bs here, but I'm actually a champion marksman with a rifle and I'm decent with a pistol and hell, even a bow in a pinch. I'm also proficient in the operation of most firearms. Also in combat I've earned a Tae Kwon Do black belt and I've studied Judo so in a pinch I can escape from one or two zeds. I've also been trained in the use of swords (katanas specifically) and nunchucks which a metal or wood set can easily break skulls so in a pinch that's pretty useful. In a more technical stand point, my father is in construction and I'm taking classes in design that focuses on engineering and architecture so my barricades and other structures and whatnot will be more effective than they could be. As a last point I've been in scouts since I was little and I've picked up quite a few survival skills over the years so even out of civilization I can do alright. When it comes to zombies, I'm the most knowledgeable of everyone I know hence why many would turn to me, they know that I know my stuff.

As for others, my brother has been in scouts as long as me, so together our survival skills are pretty damn fantastic. My brother also is a decent shot with a rifle and he's better with a shotgun. He hasn't been trained in martial arts, but he's stronger than me and I'm sure he could get away from one or two zombies while unarmed as well. As for others, I guess I'd pick people that are entertaining since morale is huge in a survival situation, but they'd also have to be competent, and willing to listen to directions since fighting over leadership can devastate a group which is why I'd try to stick to my friends. All depends who's near me at the time.

On the original note, I thought about things a bit more and I think the ideal location is actually a warehouse store about ten minutes from my house. It has ample food supplies as well as plenty of material to barricade whatever entrances there are. the main entrance is actually a double entrance so we can double cade it and use it almost like an airlock. That would allow us to provide temporary shelter in the outer area without compromising the rest of the structure. This store is also near that sports store so we'd hit that first and load the car with ammo, then get someone inside have them open the big loading door and pull the car inside and seal it behind us. That would allow us to remove the equipment in safety. As a bonus, the store also has a lot of books which means entertainment to help morale. It also has a **** load of other toys and **** to provide entertainment. So, as far as I can figure, that's our best bet. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Incidentally, I just read the Survival Guide by Max Brooks and found it funny that what I thought about the schools and prisons and whatnot was actually in there. Guess I knew my **** even better than I thought. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

MUM Commander-in-Chief 
LtGonzalez
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:48 pm »

I doubt that would be a good idea Gonzo, unless it starts on one coast and we prepare early, then that would be pretty awesome as we'd allo know more so what to do. Honestly my most likely group would be me, my brother and a couple friends as my parents would most likely be at work and my grandparents are too far away. Even then, it depends where I am when it starts. I may end up just being with a group of people from my school because going excessively out of the way to save family can get you all killed. Cold I know, but I don't think a zombie apocalypse is a time for sacrifice and selflessness.

Yeah I know, I just said it for kicks. In my location I probably wouldn't make it. To get to anywhere remote and abandoned, you'd have to go through the heart of NYC. Zombie central.
Report Spam   Logged

Echo over and out.
JOHN CULLEN
MIA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:57 pm »

Stupid ipod i keep hitting buttons i dont mean to Angry but does anyone have memberships at the zsadw and mmc we live in same province lols
Report Spam   Logged

A Rabid Dogg
Administrator

Live to the Fullest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »

My town is mid sized, not the best, but tolerable. Also, John, I do in fact have an account on the zsad wiki. I've found that some of their info isn't that great. First of all, all info on zombies themselves is speculation, all we have are survival skills for normal survival situations and a skill for tactics especially of a military variety. If you don't have that skill, find someone who does, shut up, and listen to orders or will die or zombify.
Report Spam   Logged

MUM Commander-in-Chief 
JOHN CULLEN
MIA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:15 pm »

Memeh i have an account and im perfectly aware that its speculation i tend to plan for all possible variables and personally when it comes to following military orders been there done that not interested i know more about survival then most of them anyways
Report Spam   Logged

A Rabid Dogg
Administrator

Live to the Fullest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »

I just meant too many people fighting for control will get everyone killed.
Report Spam   Logged

MUM Commander-in-Chief 

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum